About The Love Story
The Love Story provides expressive writing programs to people dealing with heartbreak, grief, and trauma. We exist to shift the perception of pain—not as something to be dismissed, ashamed, or avoided, but as an opportunity to grow spiritually, emotionally, and developmentally. Pain can be transformed into meaning and purpose through expressive writing and storytelling.
We inspire the broken hearted to transform pain into passion through workshops, mentorship, educational resources, publishing and interactive productions.
Why We Exist
Suicide is the second leading cause of death among young adults ages 25-34 and depression is the leading cause of suicide. Depression is a major symptom of heartbreak.
According to the World Health Organization, Depression is the number one disability worldwide. That said, our non-profit serves an international audience, bringing people together, providing a space that allows us to experience connection, community, and catharsis in the process of processing our pain into purpose through creative journaling. We are a collective of Journal-Artists who fuse the discipline of journaling with the craft of a journalist for the literary fictionalization of our personal journey.
We believe that social isolation comes from depression, and depression comes from suppressed expression.
Our mission is to shift the narrative in our mental scripts from:
“Nobody Understands Me,” into “I Am Not Alone.”
“There’s something wrong with me,” into “Pain is a catalyst for self-realization.”
“What’s the point of ____(pain, living, working, loving, etc.)?” into “The point is to discover who I truly am.”
Through creative expression, we are able to create a love story through our adversities.
Our Program Services
- Program services are public benefit services, in other words community services that benefit the public.
- Program services are co-created by volunteers, interns, and philanthropists.
- Program services are either heavily subsidized or they are provided as a free service.
- We rely on volunteers, interns, in-kind donations, foundations, private donors, and business donors to run various Program Services.
Our Four Core Services
“Expressive writing is a revolutionary act. It can be done anywhere, takes less time than a cup of coffee, it’s free, and, best of all, scientifically proven to improve how we process issues that compromise one’s quality of life.”
—Dr. James Pennebaker
- DIY (Do-it-Yourself) Journaling—through our free expressive writing portal at www.thelovestory.org, begin making the unconscious conscious through Artist-Inspired and Journal-Artist Inspired Expressive Writing. Directions & Resources are provided.
- Journal Together—Our Peer-to-Peer Mirror Darkly Sessions are structured group journaling sessions facilitated by experienced Journal-artist hosts via Zoom.
- Journal alongside Artist Performances—Live Artist Performances-Inspired Journaling, with an opportunity to share one’s journal entry through candlelight open mic sharing and resonating.
- Journal to Pursue Purpose—The Love Story Playbook Program is designed to arc our story from a tragedy into a divine comedy in seven acts, told in fiction, based on a true story. We believe telling our story is to transform our story. In the process of telling our stories as both an art and craft, we will discover the duality of our desire, design, and destiny, and be inspired and disciplined in choosing the path of our true desire, design, and destiny.
Our flagship program, The Love Story Playbook, is the journey of transforming our personal tragedy into a divine comedy through expressive writing and mastering the discipline of love so we may arc our characters to arc our stories into The Love Story.
We are in the process of producing three main expressive writing programs:
All three programs are rooted in 1 Corinthians 13 in the Holy Bible. We leverage the Mystery of Love revealed in 1 Corinthians 13:12 to help us discern the duality of our desires, design, and destiny and 1 Corinthians 13:4-7 to help us arc our character in order that we arc our stories.
At the heart of our programs, we leverage the New Testament as a keystone perspective that ties important universal principles of Taoism, Gnosticism, Jung and Freud psychology, expressive writing and storytelling together, designed for our self-realization process.
At the root of our programs, we focus on character building through hope, faith, and love and the greatest of these is love defined in 1 Corinthians 13.
We welcome all nationalities, cultures, and creeds on the mission to inspire the broken hearted to transform our tragedy into The Love Story.
The Love Story Playbook
The Playbook is broken down into seven acts:
Acts One, Two, & Three is The Producer’s Playbook: Transforming tragedy by revealing it through Faith, Compassion, and Grace.
Acts Four, Five, & Six is The Love Story Playbook: Arcing the story by arcing our character through Patience and Kindness, the power of the Nots, and Love Always.
Act Seven is The Journal-Artist Playbook: Remapping journal entries into scenes that make up a historical novel, told in fiction, based on a true story.
The Producer’s Playbook
The Program Starter
A man who is unconscious of himself acts in a blind, instinctive way and is in addition fooled by all the illusions that arise when he sees everything that he is not conscious of in himself coming to meet him from outside as projections upon his neighbor.
“The Philosophical Tree” (1945). In CW 13: Alchemical Studies. P.335
Act One of The Producer’s Playbook is Acting in Faith (versus Fear) and is the beginning of Shadow Integration.
Based on Dr. Carl Jung’s work on Shadow Integration, The Producer’s Playbook is designed to:
1. Activate our subconscious to begin expressing the things we have suppressed.
2. Discern the inner narratives of shadow and spirit within us.
3. Become inspired and disciplined in the work of taking action on the inner narratives of our spirit and standing in non-action on the inner narratives of our shadow.
Want the Science behind it?
What You Can Do For The Love Story
As a Journal-Artist Host, you will facilitate peer-to-peer expressive writing groups. We will train you on the way of humility: holding space, being of service, and being with people from a place of authenticity through non-judgement listening.
What The Love Story Can Do For You
- Help you Discover an Authentic Community of Journal-Artist Writers.
- Help you Discover a Sense of Belonging.
- Help you Uncover a Mission-Driven Lifestyle where giving back also gives back to you.
- Help you Relate and Connect Better with People.
- Help you Improve Communication Skills.
- Help you Build Confidence.
Hear from our Journal-Artists
Founded in 2015, The Love Story Media, Inc. is a non-profit 501(c)3 multimedia publisher and educational platform, inspiring the broken hearted to transform our tragedy into divine comedy and this entire journey is called, “The Love Story.”
On February 2016, The Love Story Project became an official 501(c)3 California non-profit corporation. For more information about us→ The Love Story
About the Founder:
Mingjie “MJ” Zhai, a former educator and suicide attempt survivor, discovered how to transform her heartbreak into creative expression by interviewing people about theirs. While learning how to build a public benefit business lean, MJ made it her life’s mission to encourage, inspire and empower others to turn pain into a creative force for social good.
And now these three remain: faith, hope, and love. But the greatest of these is love.
1 Corinthians 13:13
Power of 13
“If I speak in the tongues of men or of angels, but do not have love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but do not have love, I am nothing. If I give all that I possess to the poor and give over my body to hardship that I may boast, but do not have love, I gain nothing.
Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.